Sunday, April 15, 2012

Fresh Herb Salmon with Eggplant Olive Relish

Restaurant to Propane
It has been a long Journey from my mother's kitchens and the restaurant where I grew up. Although I never meet my father I was surrounded by Aunts and Uncles that adored me and raised me like a little princess. My brother was gone by the time I was nine or ten and that left the castle to me. He likes to remind me of how they used to dress me up like a china doll. He didn't quite know how to react to that. I guess that's why as soon as they figured I wasn't going to be a concert pianist and they watched as I turned to horses as my life's first passion.

Our house was a fortress that at one time housed four families, but by the time I was 10 it was just us. There were 10 bedrooms on the top two floors, two were in the attic. My mother forged a great restaurant out of nothing in a residential section of downtown Rutland. She had strange ideas, trusted nobody except her brothers, sister and cousins. She wouldn't advertize, she thought it was a sign of weakness and people would think the business was in trouble if we did.

When Mr Tom and I first hooked up an answering machine on the home phone it infuriated her to no end. She despised technology. When mother called and we didn't pick up she would begin giving the phone "what for" it took her some time to grasp the idea that people on the other end could hear her. I can just see me trying to convince her today that she needs a facebook page to promote her business.

Today Mrs. Tom wants to share a healthy dish with an Italian Twist. Salmon is being touted as the new brain food said to stave off dementia and to increase your cognitive health. Thats why Mrs. Tom stays so sharp. This dish is very simple and you can use any kind of side dish, potato salad in the summer time, green beans or anything you like.

Fresh Herb Salmon w eggplant olive relish

Serves 4


21/2 lb piece of Salmon (skin removed)

3/4 cup of olive oil

1/4 cup of gresj squeezed lemon juice

3/4 cup fresh parsley (course shaved)

3/4 fresh dill (course shaved)

3/4 fresh basil (course shaved)

sal & pepper

Place the salmon in a shallow baking dish season with salt and pepper. Pour the oil and lemon juice on the fish, place the chopped fresh herbs on top of the fish put it back in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, spoon the lemon and oil mixture over the top of the fish 2 or 3 times while it is marinating.

When the fish is ready heat the the grill and place the fish herb side up on your grill and close the lid do not flip the fish. Grill about 6-7 minutes basting the top of the fish a few times with the lemon olive oil...don't get too much oil at one time to cause a flame-up.

EGGPLANT OLIVE RELISH RELISH

1/2cup Olive oil

1 eggplant peeled and cubed (½ inch cube)

1Red pepper diced ¼ inch

2 TBS rough chopped garlic

2 TBS fine chopped shallot

1/2 bunch finely chopped green onion

1 cup black greek olives coarsely chopped

1/2 bunch Italian parsley chopped fine

5 large basil leaves chopped

Salt and pepper to taste

1/4 cup marinara sauce

 
Method:

Pour 1/4 cup the oil in a medium sauté pan

Lightly sweat (sauté) garlic shallots peppers and green onion

Increase to medium high heat and add eggplant.

Mix and sauté for 2-3 minutes to give good color add more oil if necessary

Mix in olives, herbs and marinara fold together 2 minutes

Season with salt and pepper to taste

Remove from heat and transfer to flat pan to cool under refrigeration

Mrs. Toms Secret
Pull your relish from the refrigerator and serve at room temperature or just warm. Ask your fish monger to skin the fish for you as it will be hard to cut once it comes off the grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment